Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Need a Button behavior: go to next...

I have a book with about 20 files in it. Each file is a separate chapter. On my master pages, I need two buttons: one that jumps to the next chapter and one that jumps to the previous chapter. But, those destinations are different for each document in the book.







Is there a way to be able to set up a couple of master buttons that do this, or do I need to set this up manually and never resynchronize my master pages again? I suppose I could set up 20 different master pages, and then apply the appropriate master page to the body pages of each document, but that seems excessive. I don't want 400 master pages. I just want a couple of buttons that jump to the next chapter.



Any ideas?
Need a Button behavior: go to next...
Check out Adobe Acrobat. You can do this using buttons there.
Need a Button behavior: go to next...
I'm looking for a way to do this right in InDesign so I can regenerate the PDF as needed and not have to redo the chapters buttons every single time.

Hi, Kelly:



You can probably do this with either a dedicated TOC, index, hyperlinks, or cross-references. i haven't tested these beyond a quick experiment, so no guarantees one or more will suit your need.



* For the TOC method, you could apply a dedicated paragraph style, named for the chapter, to a paragraph in each file, then create a mini-TOC in each file that looks for the dedicated paragraph style in the next and previous files.



* For the index method, you'd need to create a dummy first-level topic in each file with a sub-level topic named for the chapter (for convenience). In each file, create an index for the book on a master page that's applied to all pages - you might need to create a based-on master page that's used by all master pages for this. When you generate the index, place it on the based-on master page, delete all entries except the chapter-named sub-entries, and synchronize it across all files in the book. This will create clickable PDF links to all chapters. In the index on each chapter's based-on master page, delete the all the entries except the two that point to the next and previous files. When you update the indexes, you'll have to delete the unwanted entries.



* For the hyperlink method, create links in each file to the next and previous file.



* For the cross-references method, create a cross-reference to the next and previous files. IDCS4 has built-in cross-references. For CS3 and CS2, you can use the free cross-reference script by Teus de Jong (search Google), or the commercial InDesign cross-references plug-in from dtptools.com, or virginiasystems.com.



* You'll need create a button-like graphic for the links you create with any of these methods..



* I'm not near my IDCS4 machine, so I can't check if it can export book chapter files separately. IDCS3 only exports a book as a single PDF. Also, in IDCS3, the links in the single PDF point to the destination chapters in the same document. If your goal is to create separate PDF chapters, you'll need to modify the links to point to the correct files.



i think the TOC would be simplest to maintain, especially if you capture and include all the chapter links in every file, like a thumb-tab.



Let us know if any of these off-the-top-of-the=head approaches work for you.



HTH



Regards,



Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

I'm trying to wrap my head around the TOC method. How does that work with the buttons I have set up on my master page? Can I have this mini TOC on the master page and still have it work when I synchronize my book and update the master pages (which have navigation buttons on them)?





What I'm looking for is something that still works after updating the master pages without me having to go in and edit the master page of every chapter after I do do an update. I know I can synchronize files in a book without including synrchronizing the master pages, but I want the layout to remain flexible without having the tweak the master pages after each update.

If you want to find Teus de Jong's cross-reference script it should be here: http://www.teusdejong.nl/indesign/crossrefs.zip

Hi, Kelly:



] I'm trying to wrap my head around the TOC method. How does that work with the buttons I have set up on my master page? Can I have this mini TOC on the master page and still have it work when I synchronize my book and update the master pages (which have navigation buttons on them)?



I took a look at ID CS4 and verified that, like ID CS3, the book panel menu doesn't offer export of separate PDFs for each file in a book.



I don't know how your buttons are set up. If you've created them to point to next/previous chapter, on each master page in each file, they should link correctly when you export the ID book to a single-PDF book.

I did a quick small test of my big-idea mini-toc on master pages, and it works. I think that the advantage of a mini-toc, or cross-reference, vs. manually created hyperlinks, is efficiency. You can create a unique paragraph format in each file that you extract for the mini-toc - for example, if the chapter titles are beginning, middle, later, and end, you'd create a paragraph style named beginningSty for that chapter, middleSty laterSty, and endSty for the others, respectively. When you create the mini-toc for the middle file, you'd specify beginningSty and laterSty, and align their TOC

entries with the Previous and Next button graphics. If files are rearranged in the book, for each mini-toc, you'd choose the paragraph style of the previous and next files, and replace current TOC.



Cross-references in ID CS4 and the DTP Tools cross-reference plug-in can also work efficiently. Because you can choose any paragraph in the previous and next files, you don't even need to create those unique styles necessary for the selective TOC method. Cross-references on the master pages work in the single-file PDF you export from the book.



I haven't looked at Teus de Jong's free cross-reference script in a long time, but I don't think it could work because it doesn't select by paragraph style.



HTH



Regards,



Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

No comments:

Post a Comment