Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Create a hyperlink to a file

I've created a Core Document in InDesign CS4 which contains a side column full of references to external Supporting Material files that are either PDF or Word Files.



I need to be able to link these references in the InDesign file to the external files and burn it all to a CD so that when the client opens up the Core Document and clicks on a reference, that reference will map to the appropriate Supporting Material document.



I've been doing 'Link to File' in the Hyperlinks Panel of InDesign, but this will only let me map to external files that are sitting on my hard drive.



How am I able to burn the Core Doc and the Supporting Material to CD with links that will map within the CD instead of my hard drive.



Any help is appreciated, many thanks!!
Create a hyperlink to a file
Wow, you have the same (married) name as my sister.



Anyhow, I'm guessing you're exporting the base InDesign doc to a pdf...right?



I believe you can use javascript to do what you need, but that would have to be added into the base PDF with Acrobat after the fact...
Create a hyperlink to a file
If all docs are in one folder then it's simple:

Use New Hyperlink by URL ONLY with filename, without

any path.

Here is a complete example including ID docs and PDFs,

also tested by CD:

http://www.fho-emden.de/~hoffmann/hyperlinks/



These docs will be deleted on Wednesday, Jan.25.



Best regards --Gernot Hoffmann

That works well, except that in Acrobat, every time I click on the click, I get an pop up that says ''The document is trying to connect to file://C...filepath and filename.pdf. If you trust the site, choose Allow. If you do not trust the site, choose Block.''



Is there a way to accomplish this without getting that pop up?



ID CS4, Windows XP, Acrobat Pro 8

Kelly,



did you try this with a CD ? There shouldn't be

any reference to drive C.

On the other hand: testing the CD, I get an enigmatic

message about 'less than 10MB on the actual drive'.

Ignoring this, I can continue.

My configuration: WinXP, CS2, AcrobatPro7.



Best regards --Gernot Hoffmann

I'll try it. Thanks.

Kelly,



for further tests I've uploaded the PDF examples again,

now without the space consuming ID docs:

http://www.fho-emden.de/~hoffmann/hyperlinks/

All URLs consist of the file name, without any path

information.



Best regards --Gernot Hoffmann

Thanks for all your suggestions... I actually ended up hyperlinking through Acrobat and not InDesign, worked a treat!



Cheers,

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment