Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Deleting fonts no longer used in a...

Using CS2, Win Vista Home Premium.



How do I delete fonts no longer used in a CS2 document but still showing up in the preflight info? I've completely changed a couple fonts in a doc I'm working on but when doing a PDF I get a message that the two original fonts I used are missing and names the fonts. I checked Preflight and it's showing the same thing...2 missing fonts. In actuality, those two fonts are no longer in the doc which was resaved after changing out the fonts.
Deleting fonts no longer used in a...
They're there someplace -- probably in something you can't see like an empty paragraph or a space character, or even some random punctuation mark. They may even be in style definitions, or overset text (though you should get a warning about oversets, too, if there are any).



The first thing to do is run Find Font and see if it finds them. Once you know where they are you can decide the best course of action -- either deleting the unnecessary text, changing the font to one that is in use in surrounding text, or redefining a style.



Peter
Deleting fonts no longer used in a...
Thanks, Peter. The document is an advertising insertion order for our magazine that contains many individual text frames. Find Font didn't show anything so I methodically started deleting text frames, checking Preflight each time, and found two offenders. Oddly, neither contained the fonts reportedly missing. Both text boxes were short pricing lists, so I simply retyped them from scratch and all is fine. Since these two text boxes contained a completely different font than was reportedly missing, I still can't figure that part out.



What started all this is a new computer and going from XP Pro to Vista. I used all of the Arial Narrow family and Arial Black in the original docs but after going to Vista, none of my Adobe programs are recognizing Arial Narrow bold, italic, or bold italic...nor Arial Black. Actually, they're showing Arial Black but it's now only italic. I've read through all the posts concerning the Arial Narrow issue and although I've tried the suggested fixes, nothing has ''fixed'' it. This is going to be a nightmare for upcoming issues when using the previous issue templates with many styles set to Arial Narrow bold, bold italic, and italic. I've tried using standard Arial with -50 horizontal spacing and that seems to approximate Arial Narrow.

Sometimes it's pretty hard to tell what Find Font is looking at. :)



Did it beep to indicate it couldn't find the first instance, or was it just impossible to see it? Switching to Story Editor can help in that case.



Peter

Well, here's the deal with Find Font which seems to be a double edged sword. Once you open the Preflight window, then open the Find Font window, both stay on top of the doc and can't be moved once open. And the doc can't be moved as long as the Find Font windows are open. It's no problem with a one page doc because you can move the Preflight window to the side, open and move the Find Font window to the side to make the doc visible. Then when you click on Find First, it'll highlight the first group of ''missing'' text on the doc.



However, the main problem when looking through a multi page doc like a magazine layout, even with the windows moved to the side, if the highlighted text happens to be under the Find Font window, you won't see it. And you can't move the doc. This seems to be a counter productive feature. The only thing you can do is make note of the info at the bottom of the Find Font page, which includes all pages where the ''missing'' font appears and access each page one by one, then do another Find Font procedure to hopefully highlight the text on each page. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you still have to go through pages and manually search for the offending text by highlighting.



I just spent 1/2 hr going through a one page doc that insists there's Arial Narrow somewhere...even after deleting everything off the page. I even did a CRTL-A while in Entire Pasteboard view to see if there was a stray text box somewhere but found nothing.

Did you check the style definitions? How about Master pages and master page pasteboards?



I truly sympathize.



Peter

Did you try this:



http://indesignsecrets.com/hotfix-corrects-arial-narrow-problem-on-windows.php



Bob

%26gt; Once you open the Preflight window, then open the Find Font

%26gt; window,



Go straight to Type %26gt; Find Font. No need to bother with File %26gt; Preflight.



If you zoom in before using Find Font, the screen should focus on the

page zone that contains the text found, which should be highlighted if

it's not overset.



--

Kenneth Benson

Pegasus Type, Inc.

www.pegtype.com

I also have a problem with Find Font... but not necessarily Arial Narrow. It happens in CS3 occasionally in documents that are picked up from existing documents and then modified (I work for a monthly trade magazine publisher).



The problem we've seen with this issue is that occasionally a typeface will flag that it is missing, but if you go to the Find Font window it cannot find the first instance... and in the ''more info'' section it indicates that the character count used is 0, and the style count, styles, and pages lines are blank. The font usually shouldn't be in this document (meaning we own it and use it in other documents, but not this particular one), and there aren't any hidden/locked layers, and no unwanted/extra text boxes can be found (even if one uses the ''object find'' to find all the text boxes...



It is beneficial for us to pick up the previous month's document when working on the next document, because all the settings are there (styles, color palettes, document-specific preferences, etc.) and, if there are multiple individuals working on these documents, it maintains title style integrity much easier than if individuals not familiar with the title are constantly having to start a fresh document. So... you see the conundrum.



Any suggestions on the phantom nonexistent type? It wants to transfer itself to embed in PDF when we send to press, because the document says it's there, but it isn't. Help?

Bob...yes, I tried the hot fix but didn't ''fix'' anything. Did a search for adobefnt.lst and found nothing on my system. Did a search for *.lst and found nothing. Apparently I'm just going to have to find substitutes.



Kenneth....thanks for the tip. Makes using Find Font easier.

D - I noticed you were searching for ''adobefnt.1st'' - I don't know if this will solve your global Font Problem, but the file you should be looking for is ''adobefnt.lst'', as in adobefnt - dot - L S T (Lima Sierra Tango) as opposed to 1 S T, like 1st place. That's maybe why it couldn't find it? Sorry - it looks like you wrote LST on the post website, but my e-mail subscribe is serif and looks like it was 1st. If not helpful, just ignore!

You may need to enable the view of hidden files when you do that search.



Bob

Hey Amy,

Thanks...I know it could look like a 1 but it's a small L. Actually I copied and pasted the file name from the online instructions. I even typed in the file name to make sure it was correct. Odd my system doesn't have any .lst files.



Bob, I always have View Hidden Files enabled, so that's not the problem. But thanks for the suggestion.



Have no idea what to do now except proceed with finding good Arial Narrow subs. I've found a few that would work ok in general as far as fit but there's always something I don't like about them... odd looking dollar signs and/or apostrophes, overly-large bullet characters, etc. I know Arial Narrow isn't the most beautiful font on earth but was the perfect font for our needs. Oh well.

Well, here's an update. After reading through some info for my version of Photoshop (ver 7.0), it led me to an AdobeFnt10.lst file found deep in Users/My name/Local/Adobe/Fonts. I don't know why a search didn't find it when I did a *.lst search, but at least I found it. Is this the file to be deleted? It's the only one in the folder.



The same AdobeFnt10.lst file is located in a folder named TypeSpt. So it's in two places.



DC

It's not at all unusual to find a whole slew of them. Delete them all.



Bob

Try searching for adobefnt*.lst. My experience with Windows XP search is that it often fails to find all of what it should. Also be sure you go to the advanced search options and enable looking in hidden and system files.

Finally finding and deleting those .lst files did it. The only Arial Narrow I'm missing now is bold because a few days ago as a test I overwrote it with a earlier version after reading something about earlier versions working. I could kick myself for not copying that font file before overwriting it.



I overwrote v2.40 with 2.30 so if someone has the 2.40 version of Arial Narrow Bold you can send me, I'd really appreciate it.

In doing some research and contacting friends who have Vista Home Prem and Office 2007, I've discovered there doesn't seem to be a v2.40 of Arial Narrow Bold. I was guessing at the version since all other Arial Narrow fonts on my system are v2.40. But everyone has v2.37. One of my friends sent me v2.37, which I installed over the older version I'd put in, but it didn't help. Arial Narrow Bold still isn't showing up in my Adobe programs after deleting all the .lst files.



I'm wondering if the hot fix only works with the original v2.37 font installed instead of installing it AFTER the fix. I overwrote the v2.37 font with v2.30 BEFORE applying the fix. If I knew how to uninstall the hot fix, I'd do it but have no idea how. Once uninstalled, I could reinstall it with the original v2.37 font in the system.



Oh what fun!

UPDATE. I finally found a fix that got all the Arial Narrow fonts back in my Adobe programs, including bold. See the ''Uninstalling the Arial Narrow hot fix?'' post, entry #6.

No comments:

Post a Comment