Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Can NESTED STYLES continue past the...

Or do they operate only within the one paragraph?



I want to format text like this:



b Bold heading followed by



Regular line



Regular line



Can it be done using nested styles? I've looked but can't see a solution.



Cheers,



David in Sydney



FYI I'm using a plug-in called XMPie and I want the text to either appear fully formatted as above, or to not appear at all (if the client so chooses).
Can NESTED STYLES continue past the...
No. The return starts a new paragraph.



Just create separate paragraph styles for the bold and regular.



Bob
Can NESTED STYLES continue past the...
Thanks Bob,



I suspect as much. However, for what I want to do I need the nested styles to go past the return(s) until it reaches a special character such as using the End Nested Style Here character.



I'm hoping someone may have a workaround.



Cheers,



David

Nested styles are defined as components of a paragraph style. They exist within paragraphs and cannot see from one to another. There is no workaround to this, but you might be able to use combinations of paragraph styles to achieve your goal.



Dave

THanks Dave.



I'm looking at XML maybe that will provide a solution. I say 'looking' not 'understanding', it may be beyond my ability.

''Next Style'' might be what you're looking for...



--

Harbs

http://www.in-tools.com

In CS4 you can set a nested style to work for a set number of lines (or you can use a forced line break in older versions) so that if your sample above is all one paragraph you'd have no problem.



If each line is a separate paragraph it would work using a ''next style'' rotating sequence, but only if the number of paragraphs doesn't change between headings. If it does, you can use forced line breaks instead of hard returns and combine multiple paragraphs into one, but it's really an ugly way to work.



Peter

Thanks Harbs and Peter, you're right, Next Style is the way to go because each line will be a separate paragraph (in this case). I'd seen that Next Style drop down in the options but didn't know what it meant. %26lt;br /%26gt;%26lt;br /%26gt;Unfortunately, while it works fine in InDesign it doesn't work in InDesign with XMPie. I'm designing templates that clients can use online to create their own print ads and we use XMPie to create the fields in which clients can input text. When I test the template online the following 2 lines are also Helv 65 instead of Helv 45.%26lt;br /%26gt;%26lt;br /%26gt;This is very weird, it should work %26lt;sob%26gt;.
I'd contact XMPie's support, if I were you...



--

Harbs

http://www.in-tools.com

No comments:

Post a Comment