Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Conditional text not updating

I have some conditional text on master pages for a large book (I'm working on 64 variations of a single document and have put frequently-used text and images as conditional text so I can show or hide it as needed in each variation).



My problem is that when I click the visibility box in a document, sometimes the conditional text updates and sometimes it doesn't. For example, I might deselect the visibility box for a piece of text and the text will stay visible. Generally if I toggle the visibility box for another condition, the unchanging item will update.



Is there any way to force all conditional text in a document to update? I hate having to double check that my conditions are being obeyed.
Conditional text not updating
I don't have an answer for your question, but before deciding if this is a bug, should it come down to that, you should try a couple of trouble-shooting steps.



First, does this happen in more than one document? If so, does it NOT happen in any document you've created so far?



If you move the document to a new computer, does it continue to have a problem?



If you export a problem document to .inx or .idml, and open those, do they also exhibit the problem? If you open the .inx or .idml files on another computer, do they have the problem.



That set of tests is designed to isolate whether the issue is document specific or related to your installation and might be fixable by you.



Peter
Conditional text not updating
Answering your questions:



1) Every document that uses these master pages has this problem (so far as I can tell).



2) The problem persists on another computer.



3) Exporting to .inx and importing doesn't solve the problem. In fact, the imported document has an item showing even though its visibility box is deselected (toggling the visibility box fixes the problem).



Any other suggestions?

Another bit of info -- I've discovered that no matter what the synchronize settings for visibility are, synchronizing a book with conditional text on the master page gives every book master pages that look like the master file. Visibility settings have to be toggled before they are applied.

No comments:

Post a Comment